CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 07, 2006

Welcome Evelyn May

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Maria Fernanda to be named Evelyn May
Born on June 6, 2006 1230
Weight 4# 12 oz
Born in Guatemala City?
Mother from Puerto Barrios, Izabal, Guatemala
















I received the call from the agency yesterday morning and was very surprised that they had my little girl so soon. I was told that it would be at least a week. I was sent the above picture along with her birth certificate and lab results showing a negative HIV and Hepatitis B.

I was grinning from ear to ear as I looked at her picture. I knew she was to be my little girl. I immediately called my mom (her grandma) and got her email address at work so that she could see her new granddaughter while we were talking on the phone. She was just as excited as I was as we looked at her picture and found a website with a map and pictures of Puerto Barrios, Izabel. It is a beautiful coastal town but like most of Guatemala, very poor.

I don't know much about her birth mother right now other than she was 25 years old. There is nothing known about the father. After the adoption is finalized I will receive a copy of the Guatemalan social workers interview and report along with a picture of the mother. My heart breaks for her because I know it must have been a very sad day for her to have to give up her precious little girl so that she could offer her a better life and opportunities.

I had many names in mind but always came back to Evelyn May. When I saw her picture, it just sounded like the right name for her. Evelyn was my dad's mother's name and May is my mother's middle name. I wanted to honor both of my parents for all of the love and support they have given me throughout my life and in supporting all my life choices. I also just love the sound of the name. It is a classic name.

Yesterday Evelyn May turned one month old and she went for her first checkup. She will see an American Embassy approved doctor every month. I believe there are only 4 doctors that are approved through the American Embassy in Guatemala.

At one month of age, Evelyn's foster mom says she takes her bottle very well.
She went to the doctor and she now weighs 6# 1 oz and is 20" long (50 cm). She is still very small but that is pretty normal for Guatemalan babies. I received the faxed copy of her medical report this morning and everything is normal and the doctor had no concerns.



I must say that I have the most beautiful baby in the whole world :) I am still in awe that she will be mine. I have so many feelings running through my mind and need to put them down but I am just too emotionally drained right now. I had a sleepless night last night just thinking about my little angel girl and how I wished I could hold her in my arms right now.

The process is somewhat slow as it moves through the legal system in Guatemala but I know that in the grand scheme of life, it will be short and so worth it. She is being very well cared for until she can come home to me.

I have been overwhelmed by the love and good wishes from all of my friends and family that are so supportive of me fulfilling this lifelong dream of being a mother. I couldn't do this without all of them.

I really am exhausted so I am going to sign off for now. I will try to post some more of my feelings this weekend.

Susan (mommy to Evelyn May)

2 comments:

Bull said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ruth said...

Susan,

Your daughgter is beautiful! Enjoy and now the part about learning patience will become important.

Ruth
www.guatemalansisters.blogspot.com