CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 27, 2006

DNA Authorization Received!

When I checked my email at lunch today I got an email from my social worker saying that she found out that my lawyer had received the DNA authorization from the US Embassy. The DNA test is scheduled for this coming Monday! That is a pretty quick turnaround I think.

Hopefully Evelyn's birthmother will be able to make the appointment. I have seen a lot of posts on the forum that I post on that it is pretty common for the mother's to miss the appointments due to work or not being able to travel. Evvy's birthmother is from the state of Izabel which is on the eastern coast of Guatemala and they have had severe flooding this past week closing schools and flooding many homes. I don't know if the mother is still living there or if she lives elsewhere right now. Sometimes they stay in Guatemala City during the adoption process I think. Go to this website for more information on this weather situation. http://guatemala.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/destructive-rain-batters-guatemala-again

If you are wondering where exactly I am in the process and what comes next, look back at this post Adoption Journey: Next Steps.

Anyway, that was excellent news and really brightened my day. I went out to celebrate with my friend Peggy tonight. We usually have a quilt group on Thursday's but the other two gals cancelled so we went to the quilt store and then out to our favorite Indian restaurant. Then we went to Barnes & Nobel. I wanted to see if I could find a "Life Book" which is basically a baby book but geared towards adoptive families. Didn't find exactly what I was looking for but the sales clerk found this wonderful book called "Dear Daughter, a message of Love." It is a hardbound book that has very lovely touching messages for a daughter. It is almost like a pre-made scrapbook (for those of us that are scrapbook challenged). It has places marked to put your pictures. It is a beautiful book and as we stood and read it we both got a little teary eyed thinking about our daughters. Peggy's daughter Erica will be 2 in August. Time sure does fly by.

I also bought my first "parenting" book. It is called "Parenting with Love & Logic" by Foster Cline & Jim Fay. I have heard a lot about it through the school district here. Peggy went to some classes and listened to a series of tapes based on the principles of this parenting style. I really want to read it and learn from it so that I can be the best parent that I can be and hopefully have a calm home. I know parenting is very challenging and everyone has their own styles but I really want this to be my style. Maybe if I spend the next several months reading ab out it and letting it soak in, I will be a little bit prepared when I bring my girl home.

Today brings Evvy one step closer to coming home!
Susan

0 comments: