CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Waiting

The waiting is really getting to me. I get asked the question, "have you heard anything?" or "when does she come home?" at least 20 times a day. I know people mean well and it is after all what my life is revolving around right now so it just tells me that people are interested and concerned with what is going on in my life. I don't get mad about the question, just frustrated that I can't answer it and don't know when I will be able to answer it. Most people don't understand the whole international adoption process (although they are getting a lot of education from me).

The wait is so much harder now that I have met little Evvy. I have 5 pictures of her lined up on my entertainment center so that I can look up from the computer or TV or just walking through and see her sweet face. She is so real to me now. I was so lucky to have Peggy get about 40 minutes of video of us when we visited. I was able to put the video on DVD so now I can watch it whenever I want. I might need to make a couple of backups in case I wear out the first one. Mom, if you are reading this, you and dad will get a copy and if it arrives before Christmas, I give you permission to watch it!

She is such a sweet baby. Her little coos are so sweet. It is like she really wants to talk. I think she is maybe a little behind developmentally as far as rolling over and supporting weight on her legs but from what I have read, this is somewhat common since the babies don't always get as much tummy time as they need. But what do I know? I don't have any personal experience to go off of. I just have read some posts on the forum that I frequent (way too much!) about some babies that have come home at 8 months old and can't roll over yet. On the bright side, they catch up very quickly when they get the tummy time and are put in the right situations.

I have started to make a list of all the things that I am going to work on during my 3 weeks forced vacation. Since I thought I might have brought Evelyn home by now, I had saved all of my vacation. I had hoped that my employer would grant an appeal to let me carry over my vacation time to next year for when she comes home. However, they decided that they would not let me do that. So now during one of the busiest periods of the year, they are going to force me to take 3 weeks off. I will be off from Dec 12 and return to work on Jan 2 after the holidays. As I said, my list is getting pretty long. I am hopefully going to get lots of things done around the house that I have put off too long (painting the kitchen that I stripped the wallpaper from 2 years ago). I will also be getting the car seat installed; going to the dentist; going to the eye doctor; hair cut; looking into pediatrician so that I can get her in as soon as she comes home for a full checkup.

I really hope I hear something soon. My social worker is out of the office the rest of the week but assured me that if anything is heard on my case, someone from the agency would call me. PLEASE!!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!!SENOR BARRIOS, PLEASE LET US OUT OF PGN BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS TO BE OUT OF PGN!!! Evvy turns 6 months old tomorrow.

Susan

6 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Some companies offer maternity leave to adoptive parents. Do you have that? (If you've posted on this subject before, and I'm ignorant, just tell me.)

:)

Susan said...

No unfortunately I work for a company that doesn't offer any benefits to adoptive parents other than FMLA. They are VERY inflexible and I have tried going to the very top with proposals.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Too dang bad. I'm sorry about that. But I guess that's just step one in the Joy Of Parenting. Wait until your girl gets sick and your personal leave is gone. You suck it up and do what you have to.

But I wish you had maternity leave. At least she sleeps through the night now (I assume). That is the hardest part of working with a newborn. Working on interrupted sleep.

a said...

Nice new format..big letters we can read without the bifocals!!! Ha ha. Happy 6 months Ms. EVITA (guess you know my preference!)

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I like the spanish version shortened EVI best. And I like Evita too.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Thanks for the compliment on my painting. My portraits are best: Here are a couple that I've posted in my blog:

Cal & Blake
and
Jared & Julia

Have a great night!