CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Name Spelling Dillema

I am still debating around Evelyn's name. Well, I am set on the name, just not the spelling and nicknames and their spelling.

Originally, I had planned on the traditional spelling of Evelyn May after my grandmother and mother. I had decided that I was going to call her E v v y. However, not sure about the spelling since Evvy looks kind of funny when typed out.

Anyway, after communicating with Evelyn's foster family and meeting Evelyn, I am torn.

The Spanish versions of her name are Evelin; nickname Evi; affectionate Evita.

When I was in Guatemala, it seemed natural to call her Evita because I was speaking to her in Spanish a lot. However, when I am at home and refer to her, I always call her E v v y. I was given a beautiful beaded bracelet at my baby shower with E v v y on it. I love the bracelet. I love both nicknames. I worry that if I call her Evita, that as she grows up people will make fun of her or sing "Don't cry for me Argentina" to her all the time.

When I was in Guatemala, I bought some Guatemalan painted letters to spell out her name and bought the letters E V E L Y N. When I go back to bring her home, I can of course buy other letters. At this point I will probably just buy all the additional letters to spell out any variation of her name. So it looks like I will need an two I's, a T, an A, and another V. I guess that isn't too bad. Just another $10 or less.

I just can't make up my mind on how to spell her name. I sort of want to keep some of her hispanic heritage in her name but I don't want it to be difficult for people to spell.

Any thoughts? Maybe I will just put them all in a hat and pull one out.

Susan

2 comments:

Anotheramy said...

Since you asked. I love the spanish spellings. It honors your mother or grandmother and her heritage.
My grandparents came from Italy and took American names, Ross and Mary. When speaking in italian they were Rossario and Maria. It joins her birth country and heritage with her forever family.

Susan said...

Thanks! I am sort of leaning that way.