CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Nesting

So this weekend I pretty much stayed home. Saturday I did get up and go to workout and ran a couple of errands then out to lunch but then I have been home the rest of the weekend. I think I am nesting. Now that the nursery is almost ready, I am just settling in to the house. I did a lot of cooking/baking this weekend. I want to get into a habit of cooking on the weekends so that I have lunches and dinners for the rest of the week. I think this will help especially after Evvy comes home.

So yesterday I made one of my comfort food skillet casseroles. It is really simple: ground beef, cream of chicken soup, brown sugar, soy sauce and rice. It is really yummy. Then I made some banana bread for my new neighbors. They were really appreciative. They are still unpacking boxes after two weeks. He is diabetic and he came over this morning and told me that his sugars were down to 50 last night and he ate 3 pieces of the bread to bring it back up.

Today, I made a breakfast pizza which will provide breakfast this next week. I also made two batches of cookies (my other neighbor, Leila, loaned me a couple of cookbooks and I tried a couple). I gave a plateful to Chris & Leila who were in a car accident last week and are still hobbling around. He will be in a cast for at least 7 more weeks.

Then I made some chili for dinners this wek also.

In 27 more days I will be in Guatemala with best friend Peggy snuggling with baby Evvy. It still doesn't seem real that I am going to be a mom. If I really think about it, I get a little overwhelmed. My mom reassures me that I will be a good mom.

I finished reading the book "I Rigoberto Menchu" this week. It is the story of an Indian woman in Guatemala. She was born in 1959 and was a big participant in helping to bring the issues of the Guatemalan indians to the attention of the world to help them get better civil rights. She received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991? It was a very hard book to read. The events in the book took place less than 8 years before I went to Guatemala as a missionary. It was a very sad book. How someone could endure so much and still maintain sanity is beyond my comprehension.

I am now reading a book about a Peace Corp worker in Guatemala and the experiences that she had. I am just starting it but I am enjoying it so far. I have made a list of a lot of children's/youth books about Guatemala that I will read with Evvy when she is older. I also checked out some Spanish children's music tapes so I can learn some simple Spanish songs (twinkle twinkle little star, heads shoulder knees & toes, etc). My cats think I am crazy singing in bed at night. I also checked out some Spanish language CDs so that I can get used to hearing Spanish again. Even though we will only be in Guatemala a few days, I still want to be able to communicate and understand.

Hopefully I will have new pictures and an update on Evvy this week. The director flew down today and I'm not sure when she is meeting with the foster families & children.

I will post again when I get new pictures.

Susan

1 comments:

a said...

Looking forward to the new pics!!! And the trip!